Valentine Cranberry Dessert Recipe
Also known as Cranberry Heart Throb, this dessert can be served hot or chilled. Leave to chill after grilling, then cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1/2 cup (4oz) cranberries
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/4 pint soured cream
- 1 1/4 tablespoons light soft brown sugar
- pinch ground nutmeg
For the topping
- Put the cranberries and 2 tablespoons of water into a saucepan.
- Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes.
- Blend the arrowroot with the remaining water and stir into the cranberry mixture.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 - 2 minutes until thickened and no longer cloudy, stirring constantly.
- Leave the mixture to stand for 20 minutes (or until cool), then taste and stir in more sugar if liked.
- Divide the mixture equally into two small ovenproof ramekins.
- Spread the soured cream over the cranberry mixture, almost to the edges.
- Mix the sugar and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly on top of the cream.
- Place under the grill for a few seconds, until the sugar is melted and bubbling.
- Remove immediately from the heat, leave to settle for 1 - 2 minutes, then serve hot. Alternatively, serve chilled.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 portions