Sweetheart Valentine Cake Recipe
A luxurious moist cake. For Valentine's Day make it in a heart shaped tin and decorate with whipped cream and walnuts.
- 6oz plain flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 5oz Demerara sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated, whites whisked stiffly
- 6tbs vegetable oil
- 3 level tablespoons instant coffee
- 1tbs boiling water
- 4tbs milk
- 1 and 1/2 oz shelled walnuts, finely chopped
- 4oz granulated sugar
- 1/4 pint water
- 3tbs Tia Maria
- double cream, whipped for decorating
- walnuts for decoration
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the Demerara sugar.
- In another basin add the egg yolks to the oil.
- In a cup dissolve 2 level tablespoons of the coffee in the boiling water.
- Add the milk to the dissolved coffee.
- Add the milk and coffee mix to the egg mixture.
- Whisk well to mix.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour, baking powder and Demerara sugar mix.
- Pour in the milk, coffee and egg mixture.
- Add the walnuts.
- Beat until smooth.
- Fold in the stiffly whisked egg whites.
- Pour into a heart shaped tin lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Reduce heat to 170 degrees C. and continue baking for a further 15 minutes or until the cake feels springy and firm to the touch.
- Remove the cake from tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Put the granulated sugar and 1/2 pint of water into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil making sure the sugar is dissolved.
- Boil for 5 minutes to make a syrup.
- Mix the remaining coffee with 2 tablespoons of Tia Maria.
- Add to the hot syrup.
- Put the cake on a large plate.
- Make some holes in the top of the cake with a skewer.
- Pour the Tia Maria mix over the cake.
- Leave overnight.
- Decorate with whipped cream and whole walnuts.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Powered by Comment Script