A Sponge for a Valentine's Gateau Recipe
A fatless sponge is a much lighter cake than ordinary sponge. It is also less rich and therefore lends itself to elaborate sweetened cream fillings.
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
- Add the yolks and the sugar and whisk until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Very gently fold in the flour until it is all incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into two 7 inch sandwich tins, lined and greased or, if possible, use heart shaped tins.
- Bake at 220 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 7 minutes or until the cake is pale gold in colour and springy in texture.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into heart shapes if necessary.
- Sandwich together with whipped double cream and let your imagination run riot.
- Decorate with red fruits (strawberries, cherries, redcurrants, fresh or frozen).
- If preferred, butter icing can be used.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Powered by Comment Script