Nut Roast Recipe
A romantic alternative for vegetarians.
- 10 shelled Brazil nuts
- 10 chestnuts in shells or unsweetened tinned
- 10 shelled walnuts
- 20 shelled hazelnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal flour
- 1 vegetarian stock cube
- 2 tablespoons water
- Fry the onion and garlic very gently in the olive oil until soft.
- Mix in the stock cube with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Set to one side.
- Make a slit in each chestnut (if using fresh ones) and boil in plenty of water until tender.
- Cool and remove outer shell and inner skin.
- Grind all nuts finely in blender or mixer.
- Combine nuts, fried onion, garlic mix and fresh herbs in a large basin.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the mixture.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add seasoning and taste to check.
- Bake in a well greased tin (heart shaped if possible) for about 30 minutes at 190 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) or until firm to the touch and brown on top.
- Serve with vegetables of choice and vegetarian gravy.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 portions
Toasting nuts enhances their flavor. Since nuts are high in fat, they can scorch easily. Always toast nuts in a shallow container in a single layer. A low to moderate oven (300b0 to 325b0F) is best. The nuts are done when you can smell their aroma and they've become golden brown. Remove them from the oven when their color is just a shade lighter than what you're looking for, as they'll continue to cook a bit as they cool. Once the nuts are done, remove the from the oven and transfer them to a cool surface immediately, to minimize this carry-over cooking. If you're toasting sweetened coconut, remove it from the oven and stir it on the baking pan every five minutes to ensure even browning.
#0 - Simon - 01/20/2015 - 00:16
Powered by Comment Script