Cheese Tartlets Recipe
Can be used as a starter or main course depending on how many you decide to make. Can be served with a salad of choice.
for the pastry:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 6 tablespoons organic butter
- 3 medium organic egg yolks
- 4 fluid oz milk for the filling:
- 4 tablespoons organic butter
- 8 fluid oz milk
- 4 organic egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons grated Emmenthal cheese
- salt, pepper and grated nutmeg to taste
- Rub the butter into the flour to form fine crumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and enough milk to make a smooth dough.
- Wrap this in a clean cloth and put in the fridge for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Roll the dough out and use it to line either one large, greased tin (heart shaped if possible) or two individual tins.
- Prick the dough on the bottoms of the tins, place a piece of greaseproof paper on the pastry and weigh it down with some dried beans.
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 15 minutes.
- Beat the butter for the filling until it becomes very light and fluffy.
- Set aside in a cool place.
- Heat the milk until near boiling point and then pour over the beaten egg yolks in a basin.
- Beat well and then strain into another basin and cook over a pan of hot water, continuing to stir, until the mixture thickens.
- Take off the heat and beat in the cheese and then the butter.
- Allow to cool and then fill the pastry case or cases with the mixture.
- Serve cold.
Prep Time: 180 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 - 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script