Barbary Duck with Honey Recipe
Duck makes a very special meal since it is not often eaten. Therefore it is ideal for a Valentine's Day treat.
You may be interested to try this suggested menu:
Starter - Avocado Hearts with Prawn Filling and Raspberry Vinaigrette
Main Course - Barbary Duck with Honey
Dessert - Coeur a la Crème
- 2 Barbary duck breasts
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 4 tablespoons stock
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or oil
- Brush the duck skin with the honey and season well.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and, when it is foaming, add the duck breasts, skin side down.
- Cook until the skin is golden brown then turn and continue to cook until done to taste.
- Duck is best still slightly pink, don't over cook or they will be tough.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the wine to the pan juices and stir well.
- Add the stock and reduce a little.
- Slice the duck breasts and arrange in a fan on a warm plate.
- Pour the sauce around and garnish with a little heart shaped potato cake, made by pressing finely grated raw potato into a heart shaped pastry cutter in a hot frying pan containing oil.
- When the first is shaped, carefully remove the cutter and shape another one.
- Cook until crisp on one side, then turn and cook on the other.
- Drain well and serve very hot with the duck and broccoli.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 portions