Almond Biscuit Baskets Recipe
These biscuits can be used as a very impressive dessert. Shaping the biscuits can be a little tricky but with practice you can achieve excellent results. It would be advised to have a dry run before the big evening. Fill with cream and fruit.
For the almond biscuits:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup caster/superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons organic butter
- 3/4 pint organic double cream
- icing sugar to taste
- a little grated chocolate
For the filling:
- Put the almonds into a food processor and chop finely.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar until foamy but not stiff.
- Add the sieved flour, vanilla and almonds.
- Melt the butter (do not make it hot) and add to the mixture.
- Mix well.
- Put teaspoonfuls of the mixture, keeping them at least 6 inches apart, onto a buttered baking sheet.
- Flatten the mounds of mixture.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 5 minutes.
- The biscuits should be golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- Whilst the biscuits are still pliable, lift with a flat knife and shape over the base of a small cup (butter the cup first).
- Allow to go completely cold.
- Put the shaped biscuits into an airtight tin.
- You will probably need to practice to get 4 perfect "baskets".
- Just bake two biscuits at a time on one large baking tray.
- Butter it very well and have your two moulds and palette knife ready.
- If the biscuits break when you try to lift them, you are lifting too soon; leave them for a few more seconds. Too long however and they will be too brittle to lift.
- If they break as you shape them over the cup or whatever mould you choose you can pinch the mixture together; a couple of little holes will not matter.
- Whip the cream and sweeten with the icing sugar.
- Check sweetness.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries and whole raspberries.
- Just before serving pile fruit mixture into two or three baskets each.
- Decorate with a sprinkling of grated chocolate.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions