Northumberland Pan Haggerty Recipe
By James Maddock
This would have been a cheap but nourishing standby; great during the lean winter months.
- 3 large potatoes potatoes
- a little dripping
- 2 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- Peel potatoes and onions, cut in very thin slices and dry the potatoes in a cloth.
- Make the dripping hot in a pan, put in a layer of potatoes, then of onions, then cheese and another layer of potatoes.
- Season each layer with pepper and salt.
- Fry gently until nearly cooked through, then either turn in the pan or brown the haggerty under the grill.