Hertfordshire Pope Lady Cakes Recipe
Here is a simple cake recipe from Hertfordshire in the heart of England which can be flavoured with lemon, rose water or almond extract.
- 8 cups plain/all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup cornflour/corn starch
- 8 cups sugar
- 16 egg whites
- pinch baking powder
- lemon or almond extract or rose water
- Cream butter and sugar with 8 egg whites.
- Sift flour, cornstarch and baking powder, and add to mixture.
- Beat the remaining egg whites very stiff and fold in gently.
- Add the flavouring.
- Grease 2 baking tins, pour in the mixture and bake in a slow oven 110oc/225of/gas mark 1/2 for about 1 1/2 hours.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 2 cakes
Powered by Comment Script