Herefordshire Love in Disguise Recipe
An old traditional recipe from Herefordshire, which is certainly for those with a love of meat and a robust constitution!
- a calf's heart
- 2 tablespoons shredded suet
- a little mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- a little lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon broken vermicelli
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced ham
- 4 or 5 slices of fat bacon
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- gravy made with tomatoes
- 1 egg
- Cook the vermicelli, drain and leave to get cold.
- Clean the calf's heart thoroughly, removing all gristle etc., wash and put in cold water for 1 hour.
- Make a stuffing from breadcrumbs, suet, a little of the egg, herbs, mustard, seasoning, ham and lemon rind.
- Dry the calf's heart, fill it with the stuffing, wrap the bacon round it and fasten with small skewers.
- Wrap up loosely in foil.
- Place in a baking tin for 1 1/2 hours in very moderate oven or until cooked and tender.
- Remove the foil and brush over with egg yolk.
- Then roll in breadcrumbs mixed with vermicelli.
- Put back in the tin and bake in the oven till nicely browned.
- Serve with tomato gravy.
Prep Time: 85 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script