Goosnargh Cakes Recipe
A traditional cake from the north of England. The same method of kneading the butter and sugar together first as is used in Pitkaithly Bannocks is used in this recipe.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or caraway seeds (or a mixture of both)
- 4 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
- Using the hands work the butter and 2oz of the sugar into the flour to form a paste.
- Add the coriander/caraway seeds.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Roll out to a thickness of 3/4 inch on a floured surface.
- Cut into rounds.
- Place on a well greased sheet and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over each cake.
- Allow to stand overnight.
- Bake in a slow oven for 20 minutes.
- The cakes should be a pale golden brown.
- Serve dredged with caster sugar.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 - 12 cakes
Powered by Comment Script