Gloucestershire Pie Recipe
A traditional dish which is called a pie but has no pie crust. This dish is a good way of using up leftover lamb and has the unusual addition of apple which is more often associated with pork.
- 2 cups cooked, diced organic lamb
- 5 medium organic potatoes
- 4 medium cooking apples
- 4 medium organic onions
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pint of gravy from the cooking of the lamb
- nutmeg to taste
- rosemary to taste
- 1 medium organic swede
- salt and pepper
- Slice the cooked lamb, the onions and the apple.
- Peel and finely dice the potatoes and the swede.
- Parboil the onions with the apples for about 4 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes with the swede until they are soft enough to be mashed together.
- Take a large pie dish and grease it with a little of the butter.
- Layer the lamb, onions and apples and seasoning, sprinkling the herbs as you go.
- Pour the gravy over this and then make a topping with the swede and potato mix.
- Cut up the remaining butter and dot over the top of the pie.
- Bake at 190 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) for about 1 hour.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 65 minutes
Yield: 4 portions