Friar's Omelette from Hampshire Recipe
There are different recipes for Friar's omelette, some of which are merely a sweet omelette filled with jam or stewed fruit. This recipe makes a far more substantial fruit and egg pudding.
- 6 good cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- grated lemon rind
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks
- cloves or nutmeg to flavour
- Peel, core and slice the apples, stew in a little water until soft.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add lemon rind, pulp and grated cloves or nutmeg to creamed butter and sugar mix.
- Grease a pie dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Beat the yolks into the stewed apple in the saucepan.
- Pour this into the pie dish.
- Spoon the cream butter mixture over the apples, cover with breadcrumbs, put small pats of butter on top and bake in a moderate oven 160oc/325of/gas mark 3 for 1 1/2 hours till firm and set.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 4 portions