Exeter Stew with Pasrsley Dumplings Recipe
A delicious and satisfying stew from Exeter, the county town of Devon - the parsley dumplings really add an extra dimension to the dish.
- 2lbs braising steak, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 heaped tablespoons flour, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons dripping
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 pints beef stock
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 6oz plain flour
- 3oz shredded suet
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- milk to mix dumpling ingredients
For the dumplings:
- Toss the beef in the seasoned flour.
- Brown the meat in the dripping in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook gently until the onions begin to soften.
- Stir in the remaining seasoned flour and cook stirring for a few minutes.
- Add the stock gradually stirring.
- Add the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 3/4 hours over a very low heat.
- Make dumplings as shown in basic dumpling recipe but with ingredients as above.
- Add the dumplings to the stew about 30 minutes before it is ready.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 135 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script