Everton Toffee Recipe
A classic, famous toffee recipe from Liverpool, said to have been created by Molly Bushell in the 1760s. See Cooking with Sugar for information on the tricky process of boiling sugar.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle
- Put butter into a strong saucepan and heat.
- When melted, stir in the sugar and syrup.
- Boil steadily, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the hard crack stage when tested in cold water.
- Pour into a tin greased with margarine or oil and when set cut into pieces.
- This type of toffee is better wrapped in small pieces of greaseproof paper.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes