East Anglian Christmas Cake Recipe
Rich fruit cakes have been traditional at festivals since Roman times and people tend to have their own family recipes for Christmas cake such as this recipe from East Anglia.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon caster/superfine sugar
- 1 1/2 cups currants
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas
- 2 tablespoons candied peel
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 6 eggs
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- grated nutmeg
- a little brandy
- Wash and clean the dried fruit and finely chop the peel.
- Sieve the flour with the spices.
- Mix the flour and spices with all the other dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs.
- Cream the butter and sugar together and gradually add the eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients to the eggs, butter and sugar and then stir in the brandy.
- Line a greased tin with greaseproof paper and pile in the mixture.
- Bake in a slow oven for 2 1/2 hours.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 150 minutes
Yield: 1 cake
Powered by Comment Script