East Anglian Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
A delciious stuffing recipe from East Anglia that uses chestnuts and bacon to deliver plenty of flavour.
- 2 cups shelled chestnuts
- half pint milk
- 1 cup white breadcrumbs
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 beaten egg
- salt and pepper
- parsley, finely chopped
- pinch of sugar
- Carefully pierce the chestnut skins with a sharp knife.
- Bring them to the boil in plenty of water and then cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and remove the skins from the nuts.
- Put them in a saucepan with the milk and cook gently until tender.
- Mash the nuts with the butter and add the breadcrumbs, parsley, sugar and bacon.
- Season well and bind together with the egg.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: stuffing for one bird
I honestly do not know. The difficult part might be the chestnuts but having said that I have regularly made and frozen a nut loaf for Christmas containing a lot of chestnuts.It might work best if you freeze the dry mix and added the egg just before use. Could you experiment with a small amount to avoid potential disaster?
#1 - mary - 12/06/2007 - 14:34
I am going to try this recipe.Can I make beforehand and freeze?
#0 - alexandra - 12/05/2007 - 12:17
Powered by Comment Script