East Anglian Apple Dumplings Recipe
This traditional dish is not strictly speaking a dumpling recipe since the apples are encased in shortcrust pastry - this would however make a delicious and very substantial dessert.
- 6 cooking apples, large and regular in shape
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- enough sultanas to fill the centres of the apples
- shortcrust pastry
- Peel and core the apples.
- Roll out the pastry and cut into 6 rounds.
- Put an apple in the centre of each round of pastry and fill the centre of each apple with sultanas and sugar.
- Gather the pastry up and seal around the apples.
- Put the pastry-covered apples onto a greased baking tray and cook at 425 degrees F (see temperature conversions) until golden, then reduce temperature and cook until apples are tender.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 dumplings