Devonshire Potato Cake Recipe
A traditional Devonshire cake made with potatoes. Traditionally, potatoes were a useful means of bulking out flour at the times when it was expensive or scarce such as during wartime.
- 4 medium potatoes, boiled
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons dried fruit
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder/soda
- Sieve the potatoes while hot and add the butter, sugar, fruit and cinnamon.
- Knead in the flour to make stiff dough, and roll out to a circle 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Shape into a round and mark into segments across the top, but do not cut right through.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a moderately hot oven 190oc/375of/ gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with castor sugar and serve.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 cake