Devon Squab Recipe
In old recipes "squab" usually refers to a young pigeon. Sometimes, in Cornish and Devon cookery, squab is used to describe mutton or lamb dishes as in this case.
- 10 neck of mutton chops
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- ground allspice
- 6 sour apples, peeled and cored
- shortcrust pastry to cover
- 1/4 pint gravy or water
- Fill a pie dish with a layer of chops and onion and apples.
- Season well and repeat until the dish is full.
- Pour in gravy or water and cover with pastry.
- Bake for 2 hours in moderate oven 160oc/325of/gas mark 4.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script