Cullen Skink Recipe
A well known Scottish soup. When fish was cheap and easily obtainable, this would have made an economical and very hearty soup.
- 2 fillets smoked haddock
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pints boiling water
- 1 pint milk
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Place the haddock in a large pan and pour the boiling water over it.
- Bring back to the boil and add the chopped onion.
- Cover and simmer until the haddock is tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool a little.
- Drain off and keep the liquid.
- Carefully remove and discard any bones in the fish.
- Put the fish onto a plate and put into the fridge.
- Add the milk to the fish liquid, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a separate saucepan until soft.
- Drain and mash.
- Remove the fish and milk liquid from the heat and add the potatoes and flaked fish (check again for bones).
- Stir the soup with a wooden spoon and season to taste.
- Add the butter and reheat gently.
- Garnish with parsley.
Prep Time: 75 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script