Connaught Pudding Recipe
This is basically a white sauce which is given body by the addition of breadcrumbs and biscuits. It is flavored with the almond tasting Ratafias, vanilla and lemon. The addition of eggs gives the dish a spongy, risen texture.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons organic flour
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
- 3/4 pint of milk
- 6 Ratafia biscuits
- rind of 1 organic lemon
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 glace cherries
- a little butter for greasing
- Grease a pudding basin with butter and sprinkle a little sugar onto the butter.
- Decorate the inside of the basin by sticking sliced cherries to the butter and sugar.
- Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Add the milk a little at a time stirring constantly.
- Allow this mixture to boil still stirring as it thickens.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, crushed Ratafia biscuits, lemon rind (grated), sugar and vanilla.
- Beat the eggs and stir them into the mix.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the basin and steam for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cover the basin with greaseproof paper or kitchen foil.
- Turn the pudding out onto a plate to serve.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 100 minutes
Yield: 4 portions