Chiddingly Hot Pot Recipe
A traditional dish from Sussex along the lines of a one-pot slow cooking oven meal. The addition of olives perhaps can be explained by the proximity of Sussex to the continent and all the foreign influences that go with that.
- 2 cups sliced beef
- 1/2 cup olives, stoned
- a little allspice
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- a few cloves and black peppercorns
- 4 ribs celery, washed and chopped
- a little tarragon vinegar
- a little malt vinegar
- 2 medium onion or shallots, peeled and chopped
- Place a layer of chopped onions on the bottom of a large casserole dish with chopped olives and celery.
- Put thin slices of beef over them and sprinkle with spices and vinegars.
- Place thinly sliced potatoes over the meat with some more chopped olives.
- Repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Pour enough water into the casserole nearly to cover.
- Cook in at a low temperature 120oc/250of/gas mark 1/2 for about 3 - 4 hours according to quantities used.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 240 minutes
Yield: 4 portions