Catherine Cakes Recipe
Named after Catherine of Aragon, these cakes were probably made for her when she was living at Ampthill Castle in Bedfordshire. Since then it has been a tradition to make these on November 25th, which is St. Catherine's Day. Also known as Cattern Cakes.
- dough made with yeast, as for bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- a few caraway seeds
- 4 tablespoons (2oz) butter
- Knead the dough well and gradually work in the butter, caraway seeds, sugar and egg.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Place on floured baking tin and bake in a moderate oven 325of 160oc/gas mark3 until golden brown.
Prep Time: 150 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf portions