Buckinghamshire Stokenchurch Pie Recipe
This recipe obviously post dates the introduction of pasta into the Britain and it is an ideal way of using up leftover meat which in more frugal times used to be a housewife's main preoccupation.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup lard
- 4 tablespoons macaroni, cooked
- a little thickened stock from the cooking of the meat
- 3 cups any chopped cooked meat leftovers
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- salt to taste
- Mince the meat and add the stock.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the meat.
- Cut the eggs into quarters.
- Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and chop the fat into it.
- Rub fat into the flour until its texture resembles that of breadcrumbs.
- Add enough cold water to form mixture into a paste.
- Roll out pastry and line a well-greased pie dish with half of it.
- Place half of the meat into the pie dish.
- Place eggs on top of meat and then put the other half of the meat on top of the eggs.
- Make a lid for the pie with the rest of the pastry.
- If you have any pastry left over cut it into fancy shapes like leaves or flowers.
- Make a hole in the middle of the pie (to allow the steam to escape).
- Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2- 4 portions