Bedfordshire Pudding Recipe
This could have originally been one of the regional religious festival 'cakes' similar to Banbury cakes and Shrewsbury biscuits. Bedfordshire pudding has all the necessary ingredients for this type of sweet meat i.e. pastry, fruit and spices.
- shortcrust pastry
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1/2 tablespoon candied peel
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1 dessertspoon sugar
- a little grated nutmeg
- Use a shallow, rectangular ovenproof dish.
- Roll the pastry out and line the dish with it.
- Beat the egg and to it add the sugar and nutmeg.
- Heat the milk and pour this over the egg mixture, stirring well.
- Add the peel, raisins and currants to this and pour it into the pastry-lined dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 190 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 portions