Bara Brith Recipe
A very famous Welsh fruit bread.
- 4 cups (1lb) strong white flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 tablespoons (2oz) light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (4oz) raisins
- 3 tablespoons (3oz) currants
- 2 tablespoons (2oz) mixed peel
- 1/2 oz fresh yeast
- 1 beaten egg
- 6 tablespoons (3oz) butter
- 7 fluid oz milk
- 2 tablespoons runny honey for glaze
- Put the dry ingredients into a warm bowl.
- Mix the yeast with a little of the milk to make a smooth paste.
- Add to the dry ingredients along with the remaining milk.
- Add the egg and butter.
- Mix to a smooth dough, then knead on a floured board for 10 minutes or until it is smooth.
- Shape into a large circle and place onto a greased baking sheet to prove until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven temp 190oC/375oF/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
- While still warm glaze with the runny honey.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 portions
Powered by Comment Script