Bakewell Tart Recipe
The difference between a Bakewell Pudding and a Bakewell Tart was probably just a class issue. This recipe for so-called Bakewell Tart is actually a modern version of Bakewell Pudding which uses an almond sponge filling instead of the slightly more difficult egg custard type filling of the traditional Bakewell Pudding.
- shortcrust pastry made from 1 1/2 cups flour and 3 tablespoons fat/shortening
- strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- lemon or almond essence as preferred
- Line an ovenproof dish with the rolled out pastry.
- Spread some strawberry jam on the pastry base.
- Cream the sugar and butter together.
- Add the egg, flour and baking powder, beating until smooth.
- Beat in the essence.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case over the jam and bake in a hot oven until the pastry is cooked and the filling is firm to the touch.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 portions