A Tansy of Damsons and Apples Recipe
If you are looking for an interesting menu to serve your family or guests at a dinner party, then this one here offers a fusion
of different cooking styles perfect to allow you to show off your culinery skills.
Just click on the links below to see the recipes for the starter, Pumpkin Gnocchi, or the main meal, Chicken Breast Oriental Style. Here on this page you'll find the recipe for traditional and delicious Tansy of Damsons and Apples dessert.
Starter - Pumpkin Gnocchi
Main Course - Chicken Breast Oriental Style
Dessert - A Tansy of Damsons and Apples
A Tansy (sometimes spelled 'Tansey'), named after the herb with the same name, is an old English recipe that unsurprisingly used to be flavoured with tansy juice. Tansy imparted a bitter taste which was thought to be good for the body. Nowadays the tansy isn't added but the name has remained.
If you have a glut of damsons, this is a great way to use them up. If you don't have access to damsons then any sort of plum will do.
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 lb (2 American cups) damsons, cut in half with stones removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons crème fresh
- Heat the butter gently in a frying pan.
- Add the apples and damsons and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar.
- Cook until soft and remove from heat.
- Add the cloves and cinnamon.
- Beat the egg yolks with the crème fresh in a basin.
- Stir the eggs and crème fresh mixture into the fruit.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into the fruit mixture.
- Cook over a low heat until set.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sugar over the top.
- Brown under a hot grill.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Yield: 4 portions