Yogurt and Spinach Soup Recipe
A recipe for a light and tasty soup that has the unusual ingredient of yogurt.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken bouillon
- 4 tablespoons long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 1/2 cups natural yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 cups young spinach leaves, washed and drained
- seasoning to taste
- Pour the bouillon into a large pan, season and bring to the boil.
- Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes, until barely cooked.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour the water into a small bowl and sift the cornflour into it.
- Stir to make a thin, smooth paste.
- Pour the yogurt into a second pan and stir in the cornflour mixture.
- Set the pan over a low heat and bring the yogurt to the boil, stirring with a wooden spoon in one direction only. This will stabilize the yogurt and prevent it from separating or curdling on contact with the hot stock.
- When the yogurt has reached boiling point, stand the pan on a heat diffuser and leave to simmer slowly for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly before stirring in the beaten egg yolks.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the bouillon, stir in the lemon juice and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Keep the soup warm, but do not allow it to boil.
- Blanch the spinach leaves in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes until they begin to soften but have not collapsed.
- Tip the spinach into a colander, drain well and stir into the soup.
- Season to taste and serve hot.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script