Traditional Green Pea Soup Recipe
Velvety, green soup with a fresh taste that makes it just right for Spring. Use shelled or frozen peas, add a hint of garden mint, egg yolks and double cream for a rich taste and smooth texture.
- 2lb fresh shelled or frozen peas
- 2oz butter
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 2 pints of chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 pint double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- mint leaves for serving
- extra cream for swirling
- Cook the onions in the butter in a large saucepan until they are soft.
- Add the peas, sugar and mint.
- Add the stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool a little.
- Blitz the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the soup into a clean saucepan.
- Put the egg yolks into a bowl with the cream.
- Beat together.
- Pour into the soup.
- Heat the soup gently. Do not boil.
- Serve decorated with a small mint leaves and a swirl of cream.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 portions