Thai Style Chicken and Coconut Soup Recipe
Here is a recipe for chicken and cocnut soup which incorporates typical Thai flavours like lemon grass and ginger.
- 1 1/4 cups cooked, skinned chicken breast sliced into strips
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups bouillon chicken flavour
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed and prepared
- juice and peel of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 large fresh chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- seasoning to taste
- chopped red chili to garnish
- Place the desiccated coconut in a ovenproof bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes and then strain off and reserve the coconut water. To gather as much flavour as possible, work the coconut through the sieve.
- Pour the coconut water into a large saucepan and add the bouillon.
- Add the scallions to the saucepan.
- Bruise the lemongrass stalks and add to the saucepan.
- Add the lime peel, juice, ginger, soy sauce and ground coriander to the saucepan.
- Add the chillies.
- Bring the contents of the pan to boiling point.
- Add the chicken and fresh cilantro to the saucepan, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Discard the lemon grass, lime peel and chilies.
- Pour the blended corn starch mixture into the saucepan and stir until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste then serve, garnished with chopped red chilies.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script