Sweetcorn Chowder Recipe
A chowder-style soup thickened with potato and containing sweetcorn that great American favourite. It is a really hearty and warming soup just right for cold winter days.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1lb fresh, frozen or canned sweetcorn, drained of any liquid
- 300ml chicken stock, boiling hot
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1oz butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 300ml milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- cream to taste
- Bring the potatoes, sweetcorn, milk and stock to simmering point in a saucepan
- Simmer for ten minutes.
- In a frying pan, fry the onion in the butter for five minutes.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually add some liquid from the sweetcorn and potatoes mixing until smooth.
- Add this to the sweetcorn, potato and milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cream just before serving.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 portions