Spinach and Mascarpone Soup Recipe
A smooth, filling soup that incorporates spinach and creamy mascarpone cheese with the added flavours of bacon and lemon.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bunch spring onions (scallions), trimmed and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 cups Spinach or sorrel, or 3 bunches watercress
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices thick-cut bread, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- seasoning to taste
- Melt half the butter in a very large saucepan.
- Add the scallions and celery, and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Pack the spinach, sorrel or watercress into the saucepan.
- Add the bouillon and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth or rub through a strainer.
- Return to saucepan.
- Add the mascarpone cheese to the soup and heat gently, stirring, until smooth and blended.
- Season according to taste.
- Heat the remaining butter with the oil in a skillet.
- Add the bread cubes and fry in the hot fat until golden brown, adding the caraway seeds towards the end of cooking, so that they do not burn.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script