Shrimp Gumbo Recipe
The classic Deep South spicy dish packed with shrimps, bacon, okra and rice.
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 slices lean bacon, chopped finely
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small red (bell) peppers, chopped finely
- 3 1/2 cups fish or vegetable bouillon1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 blade of mace
- good pinch of allspice
- 3 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 10 okra, trimmed and sliced very thinly
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup peeled shrimp
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- seasoning to taste
- whole shrimps to garnish
- sprigs of fresh parsley to garnish
- Gently fry the onions, bacon and garlic in the oil in a large saucepan for 4-5 minutes until soft, but only lightly coloured.
- Add the peppers to the pan and continue to fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf, mace, allspice, rice, vinegar and seasoning and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, giving an occasional stir, until the rice is just tender.
- Add the okra, shrimps, anchovy paste and tomato paste, cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the okra is tender and the mixture slightly thickened.
- Discard the bay leaf and mace from the soup and adjust the seasoning.
- Stir in the parsley and serve each portion garnished with a whole shrimp and parsley sprig.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script