Rich Mushroom Soup Recipe
A truly velvety soup ideal as a starter for that special occasion. Generous with butter, cream and eggs this recipe brings out the full taste of the mushrooms with little need for seasoning.
- 400g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 1/2ozs butter for cooking mushrooms
- 1 1/2ozs plain flour
- 1 1/4 pints chicken stock
- 1 1/2ozs butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 100ml double cream
- more chicken stock as required
- Put the flour and 1 1/2ozs butter in a saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon stir together over a low heat until blended.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring until smooth.
- Cook the mushrooms gently in the other 1 1/2ozs of butter for 10-20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the liquid and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Blitz with a hand-held blender.
- Add a little more stock if the consistency is too thick.
- Beat the egg yolks with the cream.
- Whisk into the soup.
- Reheat (but do not boil) and serve.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions