Queen's Soup Recipe
Quite a complicated recipe which incorporates a number of elements but is nevertheless a soup fit for a Queen!
- 1 small rabbit or chicken, skinned and jointed
- 3 pints water
- seasoning to taste
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- blade of mace
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plain/all purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 pint milk
- 4 tablespoons cream heavy or thin
- Put chosen meat into a pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Pour off the water.
- Put the pieces of meat back into the saucepan and add three pints of water and a little salt.
- Bring slowly to the boil, and skim surface of water.
- Add the vegetables, peppercorn and mace.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Strain and keep the stock.
- In another pan melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the stock gradually and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley.
- Mix together the egg, milk and cream and strain into the soup using a sieve.
- Stir over gentle heat until the egg is cooked.
- Do not let it boil.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 180 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script