Pumpkin and Saffron Soup Recipe
A standard pumpkin soup with the addition of saffron which enhances the soup's colour and adds a very subtle flavour.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- flesh from 1 small pumpkin (winter squash) or butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- a few strands of Saffron, soaked in 1/4 cup warm water
- seasoning to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the pumpkin and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the chicken bouillon, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the saffron and soaking water for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- In a blender, puree the mixture in batches and return to the pan.
- Season to taste, then reheat the soup over a low heat, stirring.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script