Oxtail Soup Recipe
One of the favourite soups in Britain, harking back to the era when the local butcher's shop sold oxtails cheaply.
- 1 oxtail
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 turnip diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 tablespoons dripping or oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped finely
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 pints water
- Cut the tail into small joints and roll in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil and fry the floured joints until brown.
- Pour off any excess fat and add the water, salt and parsley and bay leaf.
- Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Leave to go cold and remove any solidified fat.
- Add the diced vegetables, bring to the boil and simmer for another 2 hours.
- Remove bones carefully and let the soup cool.
- Blend the soup and season well.
- Serve hot.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 260 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script