Mock Oyster Soup Recipe
The salsify has a mild oyster flavor which is why this dish is called "Mock Oyster" soup. The fish trimming also add to the seafood taste.
- 2 cups raw fish trimmings
- sprig of parsley
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and sliced
- 6 white peppercorns
- a little mace
- 4 good roots of salsify, scraped and chopped into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 level tablespoon flour
- 2 pints water
- 1/2 pint milk
- Put raw fish trimmings in a saucepan with 2 pints of water.
- Add the parsley, carrot, turnip, mace and peppercorns.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, then strain.
- Put the salsify pieces in a saucepan with the strained stock and simmer for half an hour.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan, sprinkle in the flour, and stir over a gentle heat until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in gradually about a teacup of the soup into the paste.
- When quite smooth add this thickening to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add seasoning to taste and 1/2 pint of hot milk.
- Bring to the boil and serve.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 85 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script