Lettuce Soup Recipe
An old fashioned soup which uses lettuce as the main ingredient. A good way of using up surplus lettuce. It is a very refreshing soup with a delicate flavour and is equally delicious served hot or cold.
- 2oz butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 1/2 pints chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons single cream
- salt and pepper
- freshly chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Fry the onion gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the lettuce.
- Fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blitz in an electric blender.
- Gently reheat in saucepan.
- Stir in cream.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 portions