It is thought that this recipe was introduced into France by Marie Antoinette.
- 1/2 cup (4oz) diced bacon
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 4 cups (1lb) strong white bread flour
- 4 tablespoons (2oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (2oz) walnuts chopped
- 1/2 yeast cake (1/2 oz fresh yeast)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 5 fluid oz warm water
- Fry together the bacon and the onion for 5 minutes.
- Place the flour into a warm bowl and rub in the butter.
- Stir in sugar, salt, bacon mixture and walnuts.
- Mix the yeast with a little of the water and mix into the other ingredients along with the eggs and the rest of the water.
- Mix to a soft dough and then knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Place in a greased loaf tin.
- Leave to prove until double in size.
- Bake in a preheated oven 190oC/375oF/gas mark 5 for 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
Powered by Comment Script