Iced Fancies Recipe
By James Maddock
If you fancy making some iced fancies then this recipe is for you! It really is one of the most quick and simple recipes and uses ingredients that you probably already have in you kitchen (for the cake part anyway). I chose to bake the cake in a square baking tin and then cut the sponge into smaller squares when cool but you could just as easily use cupcake cases or a muffin baking tray. You are free to add any flavouring you like to the sponge cake and use any toppings that you like - it's great experimenting with different combinations. When I made this batch I used almond icing (marzipan), chocolate buttercream icing and royal icing. I finished them off with a few sprinkles, nuts and little jelly sweets.
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 4oz butter
- 8oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Firstly, retaining both, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Put the egg yolks in a medium sized mixing bowl (see picture 1).
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks (see picture 2).
- Whisk with an electric whisk (or a hand whisk if you prefer) until the mixture resembles picture 3.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and then add it to the egg and sugar mixture (see picture 4) and stir well.
- Next sift the flour into the mixture (see picture 5) and mix well (see picture 6).
- In another bowl, whisk the retained egg whites until they become soft and fluffy and add them to the mixture (see picture 7).
- Using a metal spoon fold the egg whites into the mixture, being careful not to knock the air out. When fully incorporated pour or spoon the mixture carefully into your chosen baking tray (see picture 8).
- Bake at approx. 180 degress C. for 10 - 15 minutes or until the sponge is golden brown on top, cooked in the middle and firm to the touch. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 9 cakes