Hot Cider and Rum Recipe
A recipe that harks back to medieval celebrations and banquets.
- 6 pints cider
- 3/4 pint dark rum
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 organic lemon, unwaxed
- 1 organic orange
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- cinnamon quills
- Remove a very thin layer of peel from the orange and lemon.
- Chop finely.
- Remove any pith and seeds from the fruit and chop.
- Put the sugar, spices and fruit into a saucepan and cover with 1/2 pint of the cider.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for half an hour.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Put the rest of the cider into a large saucepan and add the hot, strained cider to it.
- Warm gently and add the rum.
- Serve warm with cinnamon quills to stir.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 drinks plus
Powered by Comment Script