Honey Loaf Recipe
Bread is very often made with a little sugar both to enhance the crust and to help activate the yeast. This honey loaf is made with honey which imparts a hint of its flavour into the bread.
- 4 cups/1lb strong flour
- 3/4 pint warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons oil (vegetable or olive)
- Put the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and dried yeast and stir.
- Add the oil and honey.
- Add enough of the water to form a workable dough.
- Knead on a clean, floured surface for a few minutes or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for an hour or until the ball is roughly twice its original size.
- Then knead the dough vigorously for a couple of minutes and place in a greased loaf tin.
- Leave for approx. 20 minutes to allow the loaf to rise again.
- Score the top of the loaf to allow rising in the oven.
- Place in a pre-warmed oven of 220 degrees centigrade (see temperature conversions) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped lightly.
- Leave to cool, and then serve with lashings of organic butter!
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf