Harvest Vegetable Soup Recipe
A filling soup made mainly with root vegetables but with the addition of tomatoes, beans and peas for flavour and colour. Make plenty of it when the vegetables are fresh from the garden and freeze it to use on cold, wintry days.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small swede, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery washed and finely chopped
- 8oz tomatoes skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small tin of butter beans drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pints beef stock
- 4oz frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- Fry the potatoes, onions, carrots, swede and celery for about 10 minutes in the olive oil.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and bay leaf.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid from the vegetables.
- Pour the liquid and half the vegetables back into the saucepan.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Blitz the drained half of the vegetables in a blender and add to soup.
- Add the peas and bring the soup back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about ten minutes or until the peas are cooked through.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 portions