Haricot Bean Pasta Soup Recipe
This recipe makes a filling bean soup.
- generous 1 cup dried haricot beans; soaked, drained and rinsed (You can soak the dried beans for several hours or overnight in a large bowl of cold water)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- large can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup small pasta shapes, such as fusilli or conchigliette
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, or flat-leaved parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Put the soaked beans into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring them to the boil.
- Boil rapidly for 15 minutes, to remove any harmful toxins.
- Drain the beans in a colander.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onions until they are just beginning to change colour.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 further minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, oregano and the tomato paste and pour on the water.
- Add the beans, bring to the boil and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are almost tender.
- Add the pasta, season the soup and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Return the soup to the boil, partly cover the pan and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the pasta is nearly tender.
- Stir in the chopped herb.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a warmed soup tureen to serve, sprinkled with the cheese.
- Serve hot.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Yield: 2 - 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script