Greek Lemon Soup Recipe
A traditional lemon flavoured soup from Greece. The trick with this recipe is to add the eggs without curdling them by pouring a little of the hot stock into the eggs first.
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fine semolina
- 2 egg yolks
- juice 1 lemon
- Heat the stock to boiling point.
- Add the semolina and stir.
- Allow to simmer until the semolina is cooked.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice in a basin.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Add about a 1/4 pint of the hot soup to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the egg, lemon and soup mixture back into rest of the soup.
- Allow to simmer but not boil or the soup will curdle.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 portions