Gooseberry Wine Recipe
Make the most of your gooseberry crop with this wine recipe.
- 5lb gooseberries (fully ripe)
- 5 quarts water
- 4lb/8 cups sugar
- a wineglassful of gin
- Wash the fruit well, then top and tail them.
- Put them in a pan and break them up with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the water over the mashed pulp and leave for a week, covered.
- Strain through a coarse sieve.
- Press as much pulp as possible through - the main idea being merely to remove the skins.
- Return the fined-down pulp to the pan and add four pounds of sugar.
- Stir well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the gin.
- Leave for a few hours.
- Then pour into a demijohn, but do not apply a bung.
- Fermentation will now proceed for some little time.
- When it has ceased, strain the liquor.
- Pour into a clean demijohn and bung tightly.
- Leave for a least 6 months.
- Pour into bottles and keep for a further 6 months before drinking.
Prep Time: Over 6 months
Cook Time: NA
Yield: 1 demijohn
Powered by Comment Script