Gardener's Broth Recipe
This soup certainly contains a lot of the vegetables a gardener might grow.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large leek
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
- 1 cup green beans, prepared
- 2 1/4 pints vegetable or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons double/heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry very gently, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften but not colour.
- Slice the white part of the leek very thinly and reserve.
- Slice the green part if the leek.
- Add the green part of the leek, the Brussels sprouts and beans to the saucepan.
- Add the bouillon and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, seasoning, lemon juice and coriander and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Cool the soup a little, then press through a strainer or blender until smooth.
- Pour into a clean pan.
- Add the reserved slices of leek to the soup, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes until the leeks are tender.
- Season if required, stir in the cream and reheat gently.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 portions
Powered by Comment Script